Pre-op General Anesthesia or IV Sedation
Instructions For Patients Before Undergoing General Anesthesia or Intravenous Sedation:
In order to assist you in the smooth and comfortable completion of your treatment, please follow the following recommendations below.
- Do not eat or drink (including water) 8 hours prior to your surgery. If ignored, this could lead to life threatening consequences. No smoking or drinking alcohol 24 hours prior to surgery.
- Arrange transportation with a responsible adult to bring you to and from the office on the day of surgery. You may not drive or operate hazardous machinery the same day after surgery. Please note that Dr. Alijanian will not start surgery until your responsible party is physically present in our office.
- This person must remain in the reception room during the surgery or special arrangements may be made at the time of consultation.
- Arrange for a responsible person to care for you at least the first six hours after leaving our office.
- Wear loose fitting, comfortable clothing with short sleeves the day of surgery. Wear appropriate shoes – no flip-flops or slippers, as they may interfere with your ambulatory skills. You must leave all personal items with your responsible party during surgery, such as eye glasses, purses, hats, coats, etc. We will not be responsible for any lost items.
- Do not wear heavy make-up, jewelry, lipstick, nail polish or contact lenses the day of surgery.
- The patient is requested to void (urinate) prior to surgery.
- Patients under the age of 18 years must be accompanied by an adult.
- Brush and floss your teeth really well the morning of your surgery, especially in the back.
- If you are currently taking birth control pills, be aware that taking antibiotics will decrease the effectiveness of the birth control pill and that alternative methods should be utilized.
- You will have the opportunity to talk with the doctor prior to surgery.
- If prescribed, take 2 antibiotic pills prescribed by our office the night before your surgery, and 2 antibiotic pills 2 hours prior to surgery with just enough water to swallow the pills (less than ¼ cup) or as directed specifically by Dr. Alijanian.
Call us at Walnut Creek Oral Surgery Office Phone Number 925-934-7888 with any questions or book your consultation online.Call Today Book Online